When “Catholic Jesus” must be hidden inside the Church

During the last two weeks before Catholic Easter, crucifixes and statues are covered inside many Roman Catholic Churches.

Statues supposed to be "Jesus" are hidden, and so are all "saints". A strange Roman Catholic ritual.

This religious ritual is called “Passiontide”. It is a name for the last two weeks of Lent, beginning on Passion Sunday and ending on Holy Saturday.

This what is recorded in Wikipedia:

 In the Roman Catholic Church, all crucifixes and images may be covered in veils (usually violet, the colour of vestments in Lent) starting on Passion Sunday: “The practice of covering crosses and images in the church may be observed, if the episcopal conference decides.

A hidden crucified "Jesus" on the altar of a Roman Catholic Church.
The "glorie" of the Madonna holding a son has not been covered.

The website New Advent has this explanation: 

 The crosses are veiled because Christ during this time no longer walked openly among the people, but hid himself. Hence in the papal chapel the veiling formerly took place at the words of the Gospel: “Jesus autem abscondebat se.” Another reason is added by Durandus, namely that Christ’s divinity was hidden when he arrived at the time of His suffering and death. The images of the saints also are covered because it would seem improper for the servants to appear when the Master himself is hidden

Source:  New Advent

My comment:

To cover a crucifix, is logical only for Catholics. They feel there are some special powers in images and statues of wood and stone. And when their “Jesus”  is supposed to be hidden from both the public and his followers, they will have to cover him. Since He can not move, nor hide him self.

 Luke 8:16
[ A Lamp on a Stand ] “No one lights a lamp and hides it in a clay jar or puts it under a bed. Instead, they put it on a stand, so that those who come in can see the light.

The Bible says the light of the World must never be hidden. But lets take a deeper look at this kind of “hiding Jesus”. If you take this kind of faith to its logical conclusion, it is not enough to cover the crucifix for a couple of weeks.

Since Jesus left the cross, and never came back, than the dead man hanging on crucifixes must be removed from Easter Sunday onwards.

Why do the Catholics not do that?

It is a strange religious ritual to make the “Messiah” hide behind the curtain for some time.  But to never take Him down from the cross, becomes a theological short circuit.  When “Jesus” remains dead on the cross, after He is risen, makes the Catholic mass an ongoing, never ending funeral.

The eternal dead “Catholic Messiah” is a sign of defeat, the very sign of Lucifer.

All Roman Catholics, please pay attention. He is RISEN. Jesus is alive, alive forever more. The empty cross and the empty grave is our sign of victory.

Remove your crucifixes, and lift this kind of yokes and curses from your neck.

33 thoughts on “When “Catholic Jesus” must be hidden inside the Church

  1. Don’t forget. At the separation of the sheep from the goats, Christ will have been “hidden” since neither the sheep or the goats recognized him. That story has nothing to do with being Christian, Jew, Muslim or Gentile. It had nothing to do with religion. It has to do with heart service to God, not lip service.

    1. Dear Ray Joseph Cormier

      Shalom, and welcome back to this site after a long time.

      Jesus is not hidden. He is the light of the World. But the World do not recognize Him, because their deeds are evil. The world love darkness.

      Jesus is alive in my life. I obey Him, and do what He tells me. If we walk on Earth as Jesus walked, we will be invited to the wedding feast in the Kingdom of Heaven. Amen.

      1. Well said Ivarfjeld that
        “Jesus is not hidden. He is the light of the World. But the World do not recognize Him, because their deeds are evil. The world love darkness. ”

        and that the major thing that every one has forgot to do……………

      1. And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God comes not with observation:
        Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

        You hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying,
        This people draws close to me with their mouth, and honours me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.
        But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

        Not every one that says to me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that does the will of my Father which is in heaven.
        Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in your name? and in your name have cast out devils? and in your name done many wonderful works?
        And then will I profess to them, I never knew you: depart from me, you that work iniquity.

        Nevertheless when the Son of man comes, shall he find faith on the earth?

        Peace!

  2. The reason for covering the statues in church during Lent….NOT ADVENT……is to remind us that Lent is a time to focus on the Lord’s passion. The time when he suffered, died, and buried! The crosses are veiled because Christ during this time no longer walked openly among the people, but hid himself! My grandmother told me that at home in the Island of Azores where she was from, they used to turn the statues to face the wall. The reason was the same. These days some traditional parishes cover the statues. But it is not required as it was in the past.

    Some folks were right about this site….you guys don’t research, you have subjective twisted ideas including the history!!!! You twist scripture and are only Sola Scriptura! This blog is very ANTI-CATHOLIC site!!!

    1. Dear Caleb.

      Shalom, and welcome to this site.

      This blog loves the Roman Catholics enough to tell them the truth about Catholicism. Yes, I am anti-Catholicism, and pro-life. I love Roman Catholics. I minister to them every day.

      Please debate the issue:

      Why turn a statue towards the wall? What is the point.

      Please explain to me.

      1. The custom of turning pictures of Christ or saints in our house hold is Portuguese custom. In some places images and statues are actually removed from the church and not simply veiled, especially after Holy Thursday. All this is during the during the Lenten Triduum.

        Crosses are unveiled after the Good Friday ceremonies. All other images are unveiled shortly before the Mass of the Easter Vigil.

        Neither the Stations of the Cross nor stained glass windows are ever veiled. All being veiled because Christ during this time no longer walked openly among the people, but hid himself or to say after his passion and death. The purpose of covering other images is to take the focus off the images and focus the attention of the people on the central mysteries of our faith — the death and resurrection of Jesus.

        For three days we did not have Christ until the third day, he rose from the dead!!! EASTER Celebration!!

        Usually, the cross is not covered except on Good Friday and then it is slowly uncovered for the adoration of the cross. In the pre-Vatican II church it was common practice to cover all statues in the church during Lent. Some churches still observe this today.

      2. Dear Caleb.

        Shalom.

        You wrote:

        Crosses are unveiled after the Good Friday ceremonies. All other images are unveiled shortly before the Mass of the Easter Vigil.

        My comment:

        Now I can debate with you. You wrote: “crosses are unveiled”. That is true. But on the cross I would bear, there would be no dead Messiah. He reigns in my heart. He is risen and alive.

        Can you understand my point?

      3. Dear Caleb.

        Shalom.

        You wrote:

        The purpose of covering other images is to take the focus off the images and focus the attention of the people on the central mysteries of our faith — the death and resurrection of Jesus.

        My comment:

        I can not phantom, why you have to use a cover. Are you so fixed on images and statues when the cover is not there, that you are in need of a cover when Jesus is not visible.

        Please explain.

  3. I hate to burst your bubble, but this isn’t just a Catholic thing. Lutherans do this too. We don’t do it because we think that Jesus didn’t rise from the dead. We don’t do it because we think there are power in statues. We do it because we re-enact Good Friday during holy week.

    1. Dear Joel Gonzaga

      Shalom, and welcome to this blog.

      You wrote:

      I hate to burst your bubble, but this isn’t just a Catholic thing. Lutherans do this too.

      My reply:

      Lutherans might do a lot of strange things. Just like Catholics. The denominations are not the point her: What is the truth, is what matters. What do the Bible say about stone and wood, formed like “holy items”.

      Your bubble busting is based on the wrong measurement. Your logic seems to be, that: You are also a thief, so I also can rob. Since so many worship idols, I must also be permitted to do so.

      1. I think you misunderstand why Catholics, and for that matter why Lutherans, Eastern Orthodoxy, and other groups have images in their church.

        Very early in the History of Christianity -around the time the Bible was being “compiled” if you will, Christians decided that in light of the Incarnation, the OT prohibition against images no longer applied. If Jesus was a visible, tangible, image of God than obviously it was not against God’s will that there be no more images of himself.

        Besides, when Moses was condemned idols (and statues) they were normally statues of OTHER gods. The Golden calf wasn’t an image of YHWH, after all. Likewise when Josiah was tearing down idols. It was the fact that they were pillars of granite being worship, it was that those pillars of granite were dedicated to foreign Gods.

      2. Dear Joel Gonzaga.

        Shalom.

        Thanks for another reflective and informative comment.

        The Catholic faith last frontiers, are images and statues of “Jesus”. If such is not permitted in the Bible, there is nothing left of Catholicism.

        My question is:

        The Word is the reflection of the image (inprint) of God. Remember, on man present on Earth has seen the physical God the Father. The Jews saw a man, a complete Human, God “I AM” who came to Jerusalem in the form of a man.

        The pale, white, tall, blue eyed “italian style” Messiah is a man made image. This kind of hero-image is not inline with Isaiah 53.

        Isaiah 53:2
        He grew up before him like a tender shoot, and like a root out of dry ground. He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him, nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.

        (end of scripture)

        Let me challenge you: If Jesus was a short, fat, bald Jew. Would you than throw out your present idols?

        The Jews were not permitted to make Images and statues of Jesus. This is something that came into Christianity, by the paganizm that came with the Emperor Costantine who had thousands of god-statues in his temples in Rome.

        Jupiter just got a new name. In the Vatican “peter” sits in the chair of Jupiter.

  4. The Catholic Frontier is not images or carved Idols!! It has and always been SCRIPTURE AND TRADITION side by side!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    All you do is attack is there art works of reminders of what I can achieve to being a servent of God!!

    Isaiah 53, taken from the Book of Isaiah, is the last of the four Songs of the Suffering Servant, and tells the story of the Man of Sorrows or “The Suffering Servant”, which became a common theme in medieval and later Christian art. The passage is known for its interpretation by many Christians to be a prophecy of the coming of Jesus, being written over 500 years before his birth. This interpretation is rejected by Jewish theologians, many of whom identify the servant to be the nation of Israel. Many Christians view the entire chapter, and particularly this passage to refer to the suffering Jesus faced as well as the absolution of sins believed to be made possible by his death.

    Many non-Catholic Christians like to use such passage like, Exodus 21:4-5, to “prove” to Catholics that making “any graven images or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath” is detestable to God. But when this passage is read in context, it is not the making of images that is condemned but the worship of them.

    In fact, five chapters later God commands the Israelites to make two golden statues of angels as part of the lid of the ark of the Covenant (Ex 25:17-19). That’s an image of something from heaven. Then, in 1 Kings 6, God commands that graven images of flowers and palm trees be made, as well as 15-foot tall statues of cherubim. And in Numbers 21, God commands that a bronze serpent be made and uses it to heal the Israelites. It was preserved for 800 years and then destroyed when some began to worship it (2 Kgs 18:4).

    Catholics do not worship statues, because only God is deserving of adoration. When a Catholic bows to a statue, he is not worshiping it any more than King Solomon worshiped Bathsheba when he bowed to her in 1 Kings 2:19. In other words, the honor given to images does not detract from the honor that is due to God. After all, if one member of the body is honored, the others should share in its joy (1 Cor 12:26).

    If someone enters your house, he should expect to find a picture of your mother. So, when someone walks into a Catholic Church—the household of God—he should not be surprised to find a picture of the mother of God, along with the rest of the heavenly family!

    In giving the Israelites a beautiful temple strewn with images (1 Kgs 6), God acknowledged the reason why he gave us our senses: to use them to worship him in spirit and truth.

    1. Dear Bernard

      Shalom.

      You wrote:

      But when this passage is read in context, it is not the making of images that is condemned but the worship of them.

      My comment:

      True. But if you do not make them, you will not worship them. For sure.

  5. I don’t understand what you mean when you say “The Catholic faith last frontiers, are images and statues of “Jesus”. If such is not permitted in the Bible, there is nothing left of Catholicism.” There’s is quite a bit more to Catholicism than statutes. To say otherwise is to speak in superficiality.

    I do not believe that the “the Word (the Bible)” is equivalent to “the Word (Jesus, as God incarnate)” as I think you are implying.

    You are wrong about images. The first Christian Icons preceded Constantine by about two hundred years, and I reiterate they were already common around the time the Bible was being canonized.

    Whether or not Jesus is figuratively or literally represented in a statue, icon, or painting is rather beside the point, but if you want an example of their being “no beauty” than I submit that crucifixes are quite ugly.

    1. Dear Joel Gonzega.

      Shalom.

      Thanks for an another good and reflective comment.

      You wrote:

      You are wrong about images. The first Christian Icons preceded Constantine by about two hundred years, and I reiterate they were already common around the time the Bible was being canonized.

      My comment:

      Who were the first Christians. They were all Messianic Jews, who was raised as Torah obeying Jews. “Do NOT make an image in the likeness of anything”, do NOT bow to them and worship them, was a message fully understandable for them. Why not for you?

      Who were the first false Christians?

      You are right,that they came before Emperor Constantine and his clergy took power and control over the Church in 315 A.D onwards. The first false Christians were all kind of gnostic believers. There was a lot of gossips about Jesus in the Middle East. Paul encountered false teachers, 250 years before Constantine was born.

      One of the issues were Ikons and arts of the Messiah. Jews were not permitted to do this. Jesus did not come to change the law. The gnostic Messias’s are all lawless fellows of different kinds.

      I hope this message was useful.

      1. I find it strange that you believe you can understand the Bible better than the people who canonized the Bible, even going as far as to suggest that they were ‘false Christians.’ If they were false Christians, then you cannot trust something endorsed by these false Christians. Which means, you cannot trust the Bible. So how can you condemn them as false Christians?

        Read that entire paragraph again.

        And no, the Icons I refer to were not used by Gnostics. I don’t even know why you’re bring them up honestly. In fact, because they denied the incarnation, I suspect they would be more sympathetic to a “no images” rule. After all, they believed the material world was evil. why make images of anything at all, much less images of Christ?

        What do you think of their opinion that images were to be accepted in light of incarnation? Yes. The early Christians knew the “no images” rule from the OT. But they believed it CHANGED because of the Incarnation.

      2. Dear Joel Gonzaga.

        Shalom.

        Gnostisism took many forms. It was not only a question of matter is evil. It was the matter of the nature of Jesus. The Messianic Jews obeyed the Torah, just like their Master had did. If Jesus could brake the Torah, than Christianity is a false religion. This is the main complaint from Judaism.

        The Apostles kept no image of Moses, King David and Isaac. They had reason to do so, based on human thinking. But if they made such, they would be cut off by God of the Bible.

        Israel was occupied by Rome at this time. The influence of Latin and Greek paganism created false Christianity from the first year onwards. This kind of fraud existed as a parallel to the true faith, and has done so up to this day.

        In the true Messianic faith in Jesus there is no place for gnostic images of Jesus. Such ikons and images comes in so many forms and colors. If such conflicting evidences had been presented in any court of Law, the case would have been dismissed.

        The ikon-makers should have been sent to prison accused of fraud. Because that is what they are. Lawless men.

    1. Dear Joel.

      Shalom.

      Bluff. What bluff? Was Jesus white, or was he brown? Did he have blue eyes, or did he have brown? Did he have long hair, or did he have short?

      Is this so difficult to understand?

      Come to court, and the Judge will laugh when you give your testimony. Ikons are at best a big bluff.

      Your case and story will be dismissed. The Word is eternal. Images are man made.

      1. ivarfjeld, I call your bluff at the lack of interaction or substance in your responses. You throw red herrings via information that is not totally relevant and quite possibly not even true, as your hazy understanding of gnosticism seems to indicate.

        The fact that you ask “incarnation of what” speaks volumes here, that I think any candid reader will probably understand.

    2. Dear Joel.

      Shalom.

      You asked:

      Secondly, this is the second time you have ignored the point made about the incarnation.

      My reply:

      Incarnation of what. Please refresh your question.

  6. Dear Joel,

    You stated that the use of images has changed due to the incarnation. This is baloney. God doesn’t “change” one of the 10 commandments because He became man.In fact the apostles were warned to stay away from idols.
    http://bible.cc/1_john/5-21.htm

    But if you look at the 10 commandments according to the catholic church, and then a ‘protestant ‘ version, you will notice the catholic church has taken out the commandment to not make any graven images..
    http://www.biblicalheritage.org/Bible Studies/10 Commandments.htm

    If you would like to discuss incarnation, what are your thoughts on this ….? You would agree there is only ONE incarnation of Jesus. It says in the bible that Jesus sits at the right hand of the Father in heaven. The RCC says Jesus in His body, blood, soul and Divinity are in tabernacles around the world in the Eucharist. This would be millions of incarnations around the world since each ‘host’ is Jesus. So which is it? Is He in Heaven or is His body on earth? I think it is safe to believe Scripture that He is in heaven and it is IMPOSSIBLE to have millions of incarnations around the world.
    Regarding imagery…
    Man is weak and gets attached to images and statues. Why else would people carry them on pillows on their shoulders? Look at how a little child gets attached to a baby doll. That is understandable. It is however not permitted to get attached to statues, rendering them powers and spiritual attributes that only belong to God.

    1. Dear Sue.

      Shalom.

      Generational curses are passed down the family line. The RCC is a perfect example. From one idol worshiper, to the next.

    2. Well then what of the Body Of Christ being in MILLIONS of believers (which is the Church on earth) yet remaining ONE body in Christ. Your logic is quite silly.

    1. Amen. Jesus of Nazareth brings an end to paganizm in your life. Romanism and Helenism has no place in the Biblical faith in the Messiah.

      The first member of an RCC family who wants to break the generational curse, will be ex-communicated.

  7. Can you explain why the New Testament was Written in Greek??? That is a Hellenistic Language!! Like Mark’s Gospel or Luke’s Gospel…..they were mostly Greek….NOT Hebrew! It may have not connection to pagan religions, but the language was used!! So, in way the Bible is part of the Hellenistic culture!

    1. Dear Nicholas

      Shalom.

      You wrote:

      Can you explain why the New Testament was Written in Greek???

      My comment:

      Greek language is not “Helenism” in the religious sense. Before the Roman Occupation of Israel, the land was occupied by Alexander the Great. He ruled from Greek the the borders of India. There were millions of Jews who spoke Greek. This is why the New Testament was written in the language.

      Helenism in the religious context, is influence of Greek mythology on Judaism. Its like clashes of two different worlds.

  8. “And you shall make two cherubim of gold; of hammered work shall you make them, on the two ends of the
    mercy seat. Make one cherub on the one end, and one cherub on the other end; of one piece with the mercy
    seat shall you make the cherubim on its two ends. The cherubim shall spread out their wings above,
    overshadowing the mercy seat with their wings, their faces one to another; toward the mercy seat shall the
    faces of the cherubim be. And you shall put the mercy seat on the top of the ark; and in the ark you shall put
    the testimony that I shall give you. There I will meet with you, and from above the mercy seat, from between
    the two cherubim that are upon the ark of the testimony, I will speak with you of all that I will give you in
    commandment for the people of Israel.” (Ex 25:18-22) God commands sacred images to be made.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s