Vatican tells Mexico to stop worshiping “saint dead”

The Vatican wants end to freelance worship of saint of holy death in Mexico.

Some Catholics in Mexico worship a saint that looks more like the devil.

Spokesman Fr. Hugo Valdemar of the Archdiocese of Mexico City is urging Mexicans to abandon the practice of venerating “St. Death”.

The priest noted that the belief in St. Death – represented by a skeleton holding a scythe –  is contrary to Christianity. He added that its veneration has become a favorite ritual among those involved in organized crime.
Fr. Valdemar spoke to CNA on Jan. 6 about the recent arrest of David Romo, the leader of the St. Death cult.

Fr. Valdemar urged the some 3,000 followers of St. Death to abandon the cult, which he said is “superstitious and has diabolical connotations.”

The promoters of the devotion are profiting from the ignorance of the people, he underscored, and it has become “the favorite devotion of organized crime, drug cartels and kidnappers.”

He urged Mexicans to destroy any images of St. Death they possess and not to fear any vengeance, because “the power of God is greater than evil.

Source: CNA.

My comment:

Its is worth noticing that a Vatican spokesman has told Mexicans to destroy images of saint death. The reason is that such images are not approved for adoration and veneration by the Pontiff in Rome.

The challenged for the Vatican is obvious. Its is hardly possible to see the difference between Catholic freelance adoration of skulls and bones, and the skulls and bones that the Pope him self are adoring and venerating.

Let me publish some pictures, and see if you are able to see the difference?

Is veneration of this leg bone, approved as holy by the Vatican? Yes or no.
Is adoration of this skull a freelance activity, or has it been blessed by the Pope?
Could this skull and skeleton be approved by the Vatican, or is it set up by some freelancers?
Is this statue adorable, after the standards set by the Vatican?
Can this skull be adored and venerated, aproved and blessed by the Pope?

You have to admit, that it is not so easy to be sure which of the skulls, skeletons and bones that have been blessed by the Vatican. If you do not contact an expert, you might be fooled into adoring the wrong remains of a man.

There are a couple of Bible verses, that comes to my mind when I see these kind of stuff presented as “holy”.

Matthew 22:32
‘I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’ ? He is not the God of the dead but of the living.”

Matthew 8:22
But Jesus told him, “Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead.”

Now, I will give you a chance to test your knowledge about what the Vatican has approved or not. If you were able to get it right in regards to the five above pictures, you are quite an expert.

Let me publish the pictures once again, and this time also displaying the correct answers:

Veneration of this bone is authorized. It can be adored in Munich, inside the Palace and Museum of the former Catholic Bavarian kings.

Here you have a skull not approved by men ordained by the Pope. This is Santa Muerte in Mexico.
This skull and skeleton is adorable. It is St. Bonosa. Where: At St. Martin of Tours parish church, 639 South Shelby Street, Louisville, Kentucky, 40202

You might have thought this was a statue is of Catholic Mary. Take a second look. This is the "saint of death".

If you venerate this skull you are safe. Even the Pope has bowed down to it, when He visited Prague.
Skull of "Saint Wenceslas" Basilica in Stara Bolesav, just outside Prague. Approved, blessed, adorable and venerated.

Read more about skull and bones in the Roman Catholic Church, you can adore, venerate or worship without being criticized by a priest or a bishop.

Read more about Santa Muerte.

Written by Ivar

22 thoughts on “Vatican tells Mexico to stop worshiping “saint dead”

1. Dear Jes.

Shalom, and welcome back.

Do you still love me?

1. Hi Ivar,

First of all I couldn’t get a chance to respond as I was traveling. But I’m back now with vengeance haha 🙂 I’m just kidding!

Secondly, I like the articles you bring out on your blog and can’t keep my fingers still in pouring out my knowledge. Keep up the good work.

And thirdly, I am not here to bash you or any commenter and what I write is not directed to you or any individual I write in general what I know and believe is the truth. But if you or anyone takes it upon themselves, I can’t help it.

Now, to answer your questions:
        ****((You were quite angry with me, because I sometimes rest and keep the Sabbath on a Tuesday.))****
        Ivar, angry is hardly the word and it doesn’t make sense, in fact you were the one who flipped over like an omelette when I brought up the subject about Sabbath and not me. Why should I be angry? Can I force my beliefs on you or anyone? I can give out the truth let anyone take it or leave it and/or do their own research to prove me. Besides, its not just you reading the comments, there are millions out there on the internet who are reading the blog.

****((Do you still love me?))****

Lol! what a question, Ivar, you are like a little boy, how old are you may I ask? And are you still sucking your thumb haha!!

****((And do you feel the Messiah, will let me dwell in His eternal Kingdom for eternity?))****

Do I really have to answer this silly question? Unbelievable!! Well, my answer is “be OBEDIENT to His WORD, and not go by your own understanding, then your own heart should give you the right answer”.

****((Is there enough mercy and grace within your religion, so that those who have to work on Friday nights can be saved?))****

Well, let me say this first, Christianity, Catholicism, and the rest are RELIGIONS that in reality have DIFFERENT SECTS, and that’s where the confusion come in. Why is it so Ivar? Is this the kind of church Yeshua started, after shedding His blood for us?

Definition of “SECT” = Division, Dissection, Partition, Schism, Split and so on..

For your kind information Mr. Ivar Fjeld, I DO NOT follow a RELIGION. I believe, trust, and follow exclusively the TORAH, which is unique, pure, and stands out from all religions of the world. THE TORAH IS A RELATIONSHIP WITH YESHUA, THE WORD, THE LIGHT OF THIS WORLD and so much more goodness.

I have more coming up later re. your previous comment.

Be blessed.

2. Dear Jes.

Shalom.

Its important that we also can debate the topic of Sabbath, without passing judgment on each other. Jesus, or Yeshua, knows how complex our communities have become. There is often a need to “do good” on very odd timings.

I once heard a true story about an Orthodox Jew in Western Jerusalem, who was afraid to switch on the downed short circuit button in the Synagogue on a early Saturday morning. He secretly ran to the goyim believers in Jesus, to request for help.

Than the Saturday Sabbath service went on without the Orthodox brethren knowing whom their God had used to switch the light back on.

3. Jes said:

“Anyways, about Love I don’t know, but I am NEUTRAL to all in this world and I hate no one except the enemy of G-d.”

My comment:

Jes, you say in your reply to Ivar that you pour out your knowledge to us about the Messiah and obedience. I tell you, you fail badly in convincing true believers that you have much knowledge at all, when you say you are neutral about loving others.

1 John 4:8 Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.

4. Jes said:
        “I believe, trust, and follow exclusively the TORAH, which is unique, pure, and stands out from all religions of the world. THE TORAH IS A RELATIONSHIP WITH YESHUA, THE WORD, THE LIGHT OF THIS WORLD and so much more goodness.”

My comment:

You should read and obey Jesus’ commands in the New Testament. You might get to know God and Jesus better.

5. Dear Victoria and Jes.

Shalom.

Matthew 23:23
        “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.

Dear Victoria.

6. Ivar said:
        “The debate about the relationship between the Torah and Grace, is a never ending story. Even in the book of Acts, the apostles had debates on what part of the Torah was more important than others. Even Jesus the Messiah highlighted some parts of the Torah to be more important than others.”

My Comment:
        Jes said he follows “exclusively the TORAH.” Surely you believe this needs to be corrected, like I have done? Jes, and others need to read the New Testament, and obey the commands of Jesus.
        Read what Jesus says, as recorded in the New Testament writings:
        John 15:15 … for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. John 8:28 I do nothing on my own but speak just what the Father has taught me.

Did you read what Jesus said? Surely you don’t want to miss what Jesus have made know to us from the Father. And where do we read about what Jesus made know to us from the Father? The New Testament!

And should we not speak up when others try to discount the New Testament? Never. The New Testament writings are words spoke from God.

2 Peter 1:20-21 Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet’s own interpretation. 21For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

And read in Romans, about Paul explaining that we can be established by his gospel. Who would even know about the mystery hidden, if not revealed to us and made known to us through the prophetic writings by the command of the eternal God?!

Romans 16:25-27 Now to him who is able to establish you by my gospel and the proclamation of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery hidden for long ages past, but now revealed and made known through the prophetic writings by the command of the eternal God, so that all nations might believe and obey him–to the only wise God be glory forever through Jesus Christ! Amen.

Let’s not try to lighten the importance of the New Testament, for anyone, for any reason.

Ivar said:
        “Dear Victoria.
        To be able to obey the commands of the New Testament, we need to read and obey the command’s of the Old Testament. To exclude the Law from the salvation by grace alone, makes us… “lawless Christians”.”

My Comment:
        I do not exclude any reading of the Holy Bible.
        And you should know – when true believers obey Jesus’ commands in the New Covenant (New Testament means New Covenant), we surpass the righteousness of those who follow the old law.

Matthew 5:17-22 For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven. “You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘Do not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to his brother, ‘Raca,’ is answerable to the Sanhedrin. But anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell. [end of scripture]

Our righteousness has to surpass that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law. The Pharisees and teachers of the law know and obey the law “do not murder,” we are not to murder, and we are to surpass their righteousness by not even being angry with our brother.

7. Dear Victoria.

Shalom.

So continue to be a graceful Christian in your relationship with Jes.

Jesus have been misunderstood, both in regards to what He told the Jews who received the Torah, and by claimed to be followers who are lucky to read the full Bible. Still they do not get the point, that we are all saved by grace, alone.

8. I always try to be a graceful Christian to everyone.

I would not said to Jes what I did about love, if I did not truly want to help him.

9. I think it is a good time to point out that many who think more of the Torah than the New Testament and obeying the law as a means to salvation…they believe in Jesus, but they discount anything new Jesus teaches in the New Testament, such as the life of the spirit, even after the death of the physical body.
        Many do not believe fully in the life of the spirit, because the Old Testament does not teach about it as in the New Testament.

This is very disappointing that many Jews who come to Jesus do not have the same belief of many true believing Christians, on this truth about the life of the spirit. Nor do many Jews for Jesus want to even be called “Christian.” It seems they always want to separate themselves from all who are so called.
        I pray that we can be more like-minded in the Truth and in Love.

10. Dear Victoria.

Shalom.

Man shall live by faith alone, in Jesus alone, separated from works.

Also Messianic Jews believe in this. The problem is that many Christians have disconnected them selves from the faith that Jesus had. He was a Jew. If you ask any Christian, He will find it very difficult to explain what Passover is all about, and might think Purim is some kind of Indian sweet dish….

To continue being a Jew and up hold Jewish culture and traditions, can never be wrong. But if we disconnect our selves from everything Jewish, we do not acknowledge that there would not have been any Christianity, without Judaism.

11. You said “The problem is that many Christians have disconnected them selves from the faith that Jesus had.”
        I don’t think that is right to say. Christians do not have to follow Jewish customs to be saved, nor are we to let anyone judge us by what we eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. See Colossians 2:16. Yet Messianic Jews do judge Christians in this area…we are even falsely judged for saying Jesus’ English pronounced name…even to the extent that we are told we are not saved unless we get baptized in Jesus’ Hebrew pronounced name.
        If error is to be discussed, then this error of those who call them selves Jew must also be discussed.
        I have spoken here about many falseness of many different religions, and there is no reason why it should stop at this topic.

You say “But if we disconnect our selves from everything Jewish, we do not acknowledge that there would not have been any Christianity, without Judaism.”

I don’t see how a true believer can not know that Christianity came from the Jews.
        But again, falseness from all sides should be discussed, even the falseness of Jewish Christians.

12. Dear Victoria.

Shalom.

No one says that anyone have to celebrate Jewish festivals to “be saved”. I have never met any Messianic Jews who have such viewpoints. But the fact that Jesus celebrated Jewish festivals, can never make it wrong to do so. And most Messianic Jews would like to call them selves Jews, because our salvation “is from the Jews”. In plural.

13. “No one says that anyone have to celebrate Jewish festivals to “be saved”. I have never met any Messianic Jews who have such viewpoints.” I have met some.
        “But the fact that Jesus celebrated Jewish festivals, can never make it wrong to do so.” It was the law for the Jews to celebrate Jewish festivals.

“And most Messianic Jews would like to call them selves Jews, because our salvation “is from the Jews”. In plural.” It is not so much they want to call themselves “Jew,” but because that in itself is not wrong. My discussion is about the wrong of wanting to separate themselves from “Christians.”

14. Dear Victoria.

Shalom.

Please learn from Paul the Apostle:

Romans 11:1
        [ The Remnant of Israel ] I ask then: Did God reject his people? By no means! I am an Israelite myself, a descendant of Abraham, from the tribe of Benjamin.

Romans 3:1-3
        What advantage, then, is there in being a Jew, or what value is there in circumcision? Much in every way! First of all, the Jews have been entrusted with the very words of God.

(end of scriptures)

There will always be Jews around us. And they have been gathered home to Israel, by the same Jesus of Nazareth you believe in. Both religious Jews, secular and Messianic.

15. Now you are talking about end time beliefs. So you don’t want me to talk about the separation the Messianic Jews have for Christians. I guess you do not like that I point out error in Messianic Jews, but better only to point out error to our Catholic family?
        Logging off for now…
        God bless.

16. Dear Victoria.

Shalom.

I have never told you what to write, dear sister. But I am concerned about your last remarks.

You wrote:

…to point out error to our Catholic family?

My reply:

17. “I am concerned about your last remarks.
        You wrote:
        …to point out error to our Catholic family?
        My reply:
        You might be familiar with them, and include Catholics in the “family”. But I am a brother of Messianic Jews, who will never accept false Christians into the body of the Messiah.”

Many Messianic Jews don’t even accept you into the body of the Messiah, if you don’t get baptized in Jesus’ Hebrew name. Don’t you want believers to correct them in that error?

When I say “our Catholic family” it is about our blood family. I have family who live and die with Catholic beliefs, as you say you do.
        You want to tell Catholics real fast that if they don’t repent of their falseness – they will burn in hell. But you don’t like to tell Jews that.
        As for Messianic Jews, do you not want them to stop in their error of believing there is no life of the spirit after death of the body?
        Do you want them to stop in their error of saying that we sin when we don’t follow the Sabbath and dietary laws and religious festivals, etc?
        Do you not want them to stop in their major error when they say that Christians are not saved if they haven’t been baptized in the Hebrew pronounced name of Jesus?

18. Dear Victoria.

Shalom.

I do not agree with all who call them selves “Messianic Jews”. I have made it perfectly clear on this site, as you know, that salvation is not a competition in correct Hebrew spelling and pronunciation. So your last feedback is a non-starter.

Man shall live by faith alone, in Jesus alone, separated from works.

1. It is very easy to know which relics can be venerated and which relics cannot… if you are a real catholic. If you are an outsider then you might be confused, but only out of your own lack of knowledge about catholicism itself.